What I have found is that many people just dont care about antlers. They just want to shoot a deer..period. They just want to hunt. And good for them, whatever makes them happy.

I see that all around the country too. They get a 3 day season in Illinois for first gun...they go out and fill their buck tag with the first buck they see. Same in KY or Ohio, or even Kansas. Different strokes for different folks. But some folks there wait and only shoot good ones. Good for them too. Whatever "Hunting" means to them and makes them happy.

I agree that Alabama has some great genetics in some areas and if managed can grow great bucks. Ive been fortunate and have spent my time hunting managed lands here in Alabama. I own my own land, my neighbors also own all their lands and have over a thousand acres each. One group are farmers and lease even more. They also all only shoot mature bucks. We hunt 3 year olds or older, but basically try for 4 year olds or older.

We dont have any stupid rules or written agreements. We all just are at the same point and try to shoot the same type game. Just a bunch of neighbors all doing the same thing.

Because of that Ive been lucky enough to shoot one or two trophies every year. It just takes a group of guys with the same standards, some good cover, good food and low pressure, no trespassing and low amounts road hunting.

The good thing is all those things are controllable. Grow good food plots or hunt near great ag lands, dont go into your thickets except to recover one, prosecute all trespassers and road hunters, and DO NOT over hunt and pressure your land. It is literally that easy!

Squeaky and Hogwild just started a big club in South Bama where they are doing just that. Theyve already shot a couple good ones. In the next couple years Im sure the deer will be even bigger and theyll shoot more. Lots of good clubs here in Bama do the same thing. Just have to find the right club/land/group of guys IMO.

Last edited by outdoorobsession; 01/14/19 10:04 PM.