Originally Posted By: Shuter II
Originally Posted By: WmHunter
Originally Posted By: bigt
Originally Posted By: truedouble
Originally Posted By: 2Dogs
Originally Posted By: bill
Its always something. Most years hunters are complaining that the rut is in Feb. And they don't see any bucks.

This year I've heard a lot of hunters talk about an early rut and I've seen a truck load of good bucks killed but now we are complaining that we can't see 20 does on a greenfield like the good ol days.

I don't know much about qdm or putting doe limits but I imagine the answer lies some where in the middle. Wouldn't matter if we got it perfect we would still find something to complain about. It's what we do.

I'll agree with ya on this one.^^^^

Hit the nail on the head. First point is I have also heard from numerous people that hunt anywhere from Union Town, to Selma to Montgomery that the bucks started chasing around the first week in January, which is a couple of weeks early.

None of the places you named is anywhere close to what I call LA just sayn..........

Anybody who says the rut begins ANYWHERE in Montgomery County
in early January is full of chit. Ours hasn't even started yet and it is Jan. 24. No seeking, no monitoring, no chasing no nothing. Zip. Zero, Nada. Rarely see a chase and never before the last 3 or 4 days of January. It has always been like that in our area. AND DESPITE MASSIVE DOE KILLING AND
QDM THE TIMING AND INTENSITY HAS NOT CHANGED ONE IOTA.

Never even heard anyone claim an early January rut for
Montgomery County.

Really? I've seen bucks chasing does since between Christmas & New Years Day. In fact, they're starting to wind down a little. I did see a terrible fight yesterday between two vicious spikes.

My son killed a nice 8 on New Years day walking across a green field and grunting with each step. Neck swollen, leg glands stinking......... Is that signs of rut? LOL

Shuter, no way that is the signs of the rut, you have to see them chasing, then mounting, then kicking back smoking a cig for it to be "THE RUT". Or, that's the way it seems by some of the posts. Oh yeah, when good bucks are being shot in food plots in Counties south of Montgomery down to the FL line starting in early January, those good bucks are just hungry cause no signs of "THE RUT" (see definition above)have been seen and its not February yet, when they reeeaaaaallllyy rut.

Last edited by Fun4all; 01/24/12 11:37 PM.

"After all, it is not the killing that brings satisfaction; it is the contest of skill and cunning. The true hunter counts his achievement in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport." Dr. Saxton Pope