Originally Posted by BhamFred
Originally Posted by turkey247
Originally Posted by ronfromramer
If you've ever seen a 5 or 6 yr old buck, they're built like a yearling steer and their legs look so short it looks like they've been cut off at the knees. There is no mistaking them, even a 4 yr old doesn't look like them

Not so fast. Totally depends on location and varies from deer to deer. A lot of skinny southern deer could live and die of old age and look very similar from age 2 to whenever. We killed a lot of bucks in the Tombigbee River area that would age 5+, weigh anywhere from 130-175 lbs, and have anything from twisted cowhorn spikes to 115” 8’s.

bullchitt, 2 year olds don't look like 5 year olds I don't care where you are. Weight and antler size have nothing to do with age conformation.

Unless what we been “learned” about aging by the jawbone is insanely flawed, then what I’m saying is true. We killed a bunch of bucks that looked like skinny 2 year olds and had dang near flat, mangled teeth. Or maybe they ate rocks. One way or the other, it happened. My son killed a skinny 5 point two seasons ago - and every dang expert on here woukd see a game cam pic of it and age it at 2 years old. The jawbone says otherwise, plain and simple. Got no reason to make crap up like that. We got Whild Bill to spend that much energy to tell lies around here.