Originally Posted By: 2Dogs
Originally Posted By: bill
Its always something. Most years hunters are complaining that the rut is in Feb. And they don't see any bucks.

This year I've heard a lot of hunters talk about an early rut and I've seen a truck load of good bucks killed but now we are complaining that we can't see 20 does on a greenfield like the good ol days.

I don't know much about qdm or putting doe limits but I imagine the answer lies some where in the middle. Wouldn't matter if we got it perfect we would still find something to complain about. It's what we do.

I'll agree with ya on this one.^^^^

Hit the nail on the head. First point is I have also heard from numerous people that hunt anywhere from Union Town, to Selma to Montgomery that the bucks started chasing around the first week in January, which is a couple of weeks early. Second point, I never hear about extending the season from people in LA that have well managed land with low pressure cause they usually kill their fill of mature bucks by the end of the season. For what it's worth I think there is a general opinion that in most of LA the bucks don't get cranked up until the very end of the month and way into Feb. b/c the land is either not managed properly (buck to doe ratio is way off) or there is a lot of pressure so most of the rutting activity is done at night.