Originally Posted by treemydog
Originally Posted by nitroexpress
Treemydog, have you ever tried Barnes TSX or their TTSX in 50 or 55 grain. Being all copper you get a longer bullet with less weight than with a traditional lead core jacketed bullet. Higher sectional density numbers for improved penetration. And the TTSX's polymer tip helps with expansion at the outer yardage numbers.

I have tried 50 gr barnes, and the rifle did not like it... I'm talking 4" groups at 100 is the best I could make it work. I've read on the 222 talk boards that most folks can't get the 50's and 55's barnes to shoot. Some will of course, but a lot of them won't. That slow twist likes short and stubby in the 50+ grain bullets, not long and slender. I've since locked into a good load with the 55 gr. sierra gamekings. When I get my deer, I'll post pics.

Well that is a shame that a small twist kills that bullet. But, your still getting a good .157 SD out of the Game King and that is the same with Barnes all copper 55 gr TSX so as long as it doesn't break up on close shots and opens up on the far ones alls good that work in my book. I'd be curious what kind of twist was offered in a handi rifle in 222 if one was ever offered.

Last edited by nitroexpress; 12/18/18 10:22 AM.