Originally Posted by GomerPyle
Originally Posted by WallyGator0928
Correct me if I’m wrong but if he observed the guy hunting over corn that right there gives the Warden probable cause to search anything he wants because the guy has displayed a propensity for breaking the law. Am I missing something?

Dont know how that works, but in this case they checked the cooler and truck beds first. The camp/parking area is about 100yds inside the gate. The hunters were further into the property. Also, the truck beds and cooler that were checked were not his, they belonged to other people.

The way it was explained to me......

3 guys hunting:

1 got a baiting ticket because there was some corn on the ground under an empty trough feeder

1 was told they'd already searched truck beds when they first got there, looking for beer in coolers(???)

Then, the hunters and GWs went back to camp, GW asked the 3rd hunter if the rifle in the back of his vehicle was loaded...he told him the mag was, but not chambered, and he was given a warning for that.

I hope I'm wrong or the stories have been twisted......I'd much rather that be the case than to have GWs running around making stuff up on the fly....I'm just posting what I was told.

I completely understand how stuff gets mixed.... especially when people are upset. I thought I had seen a post earlier by someone that says the GW had been observing them for so long they watched them take a poop which made me assume they saw the corn before entering the property. Even if they searched it on the way in I could see it from a GW perspective that they wanted to get the frame of mind of who they're going to walk in on. I have to put myself in their shoes.... they're risking their lives for less than $30k a year so if looking into a cooler is what it takes to know if they're walking in on someone who may be drunk as a skunk with a loaded high power rifle then by all means check it because they got kids too, and they also have a job to do. I personally really appreciate the work a lot of them do because (this year in particular) they have helped keep trespassing and poaching off my lease property and done so as if it were their own. I hate to see us as a hunting community at war with the GW because they aren't our enemy..... our enemy is law breakers and the GW wants to help us with that problem.