I've been hearing something in the woods now for about 3 years and I think I know what it is but I am not certain. It is short in duration, less than a second or maybe 1 second, is usually 1 or 2 times in the late afternoon, although Saturday morning I heard it 4 times over maybe 10 seconds and then within maybe 5 minutes I heard it once more. I've searched youtube and can't really find anything comparable. The best way I can describe it is a short creak, like a creaky stair, or shoe, or door, something along those lines. It vaguely resembles what you get out of one of those Primos bleat cans but not really. Someone hearing it could easily say "oh that's a frog" but it's not quite like a frog and frogs in my experience are both communal and verbose, once one starts they all join in and go on and on and on. Again, what I hear is one voice and brief, usually only one or two times.

I think this is a matriarchal doe assembly call as they rise from bed but I've never actually witnessed a doe do it so I don't know.

Does anybody know what I'm talking about?