Originally Posted by HappyHunter
Interesting thread. I don’t mind the game check and honestly it is not a burden. I am curious for those of you that oppose it what is your suggestion? This thread covers how the pre game check numbers were just estimated and nobody really had good numbers. This thread covers how the game check numbers are not accurate because not everyone enters the info. You have to believe that the info entered is accurate so you can at least have the beginning of building an accurate database to enable decisions on management based off hard numbers. It is also pointed out that people have not seen a difference in their micro area they hunt. I use micro in an effort to put some scale to the few acres you actually hunt vs the landmass of the entire state. I hunt 1200 acres with two land owners that border our property for a combined acreage of neatly 8000 acres in Jackson county. We have been 8pt or better for 16 years. Property is managed for deer and turkeys. Some years we see lots of nice bucks and some we don’t. Maybe it is weather, or pressure, one year we logged about 250 acres and it took about 2 years for us to have high numbers of deer sightings again. We keep good records, date, time, weight, estimated age, etc. there are only 4 of us that hunt the land I hunt so very little pressure. I guess we keep all the data off our small prop yams share and compare it with the two larger border properties in an effort to manage the combined properties. It has worked quite well. Our average weight on does last year was 109 pounds on the hoof. We saw 17 unique bucks 8pt or better, only 3 were killed. I don’t have the number of smaller bucks in front of me, but the average number of deer seen during a hunt was 9. A hunt could be any length of time. So all of that to say what is your suggestion or idea to get the state to where you want it? If game check is useless what would work?

"only 4 of us that hunt the land I hunt so very little pressure" That pretty much sums up the whole issue!

"After all, it is not the killing that brings satisfaction; it is the contest of skill and cunning. The true hunter counts his achievement in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport." Dr. Saxton Pope