Originally Posted by Ben2
Bayed up you are not comparing apples to apples. You are comparing a finished product dogs to a process of trapping. Compare em both in their entirety and it looks more like this.

Say I have a group of 10 hogs show up on your property (not swamp land that is loaded with hogs). You have option A or option B.

Option A: You pay $3000 or more for a trap. You go set it up, Prebait it and wait a week. When the stars all align and they are all in the trap you drop the gate.

Currently I am at $40 a hog all expenses have been paid and no more will arise and my cost per hog will only decrease. (Ben2 actual cost of hogs in 1 yr)

Option B: You call ole Dog hunter and ask if he has any dogs for sale. You buy 4 of them for $1000 you buy dog food, shock collars, GPS collars, kennels spend 100 hrs training them then when they are ready you take them to the property where the 10 hogs have become 85 hogs and you catch 3. $333.33 per hog. Then a hog kills dog 2 and we have to buy a new dog 2 and start over again. The cost per hog continues to rise.

Now correct me if I’m wrong but with option A the landowner spends a good bit of money and possibly does a lot of waiting. While the dog owner spends a lot of money and does more waiting with less results.

Obviously you kill the piss out of hogs but 1 dog cant kill the number 1 trap can
It's not feasible and not a fair comparison the trap is run by humans the trap does not make errors.
While a dog is a dog and makes mistakes and is a 1 pig at a time option. Both are good but not equal or even close

You definitely don’t have a clue how guys with true hog dogs work. You aren’t gonna call a dog man and get him to sell his dogs. You aren’t gonna buy a hog dog worth shooting for $1000 much less 4. And if a dog is for sale then he has a problem somewhere waiting for you to find it. Not to mention a guy with 10 hogs isn’t going to go buy dogs. That would make no sense. He wouldn’t have anything to hunt in less than a week. That would be almost as stupid as him spending $3000 on a trap for 10 hogs. If he had a hunt able population of hogs then it would be a different story. You and I both can spin this anyway we want and the only difference is I am saying that everything that ends with dead hogs is a valuable piece of the puzzle when trying to control the population and you are saying you’re way is the only way and everyone should go buy a $3000 trap instead of working with people that simply want to help for “FREE” or in my case pay to catch hogs. I gave you a example where both options would work one option was free and effective and the other was expensive and effective. And you came back with an example that option B made absolutely no sense for the landowner to do.