Originally Posted by NightHunter
Originally Posted by jallencrockett
So how are yall going to feel when it is found here? I wonder how long prions exist in the soil? When they take out the herd in a 10 mile circle of positive ID I guess that makes sense but not if prions just stay dormant in soil / environment?

We know the prions stay in the soil at least 30+ years based on the the first case in CO. The facility was depoped, cleansed and deer were returned a little over 30 years later and began contracting CWD.

I don’t believe states are still doing the “try to eradicate deer” so it doesn’t spread. It simply isn’t affordable. Yearning buck dispersal accounts for its natural spread, so it should be relatively slow. However, as deer (live and dead) are moved from place to place the spread happens faster.

Some out there act as though EHD is a bigger problem than CWD. Here in AL EHD is not 100% fatal, far from it but CWD is. EHD does kill lots of deer in the Midwest when it rolls through but it isn’t something they deal with on an annual basis. The populations recover with time. With CWD most evidence shows that with time prevalence rates increase and so does the area impacted. This can be a pretty slow process but looking at AR, their prevalence rate and hot area has increased pretty dang fast.

To date EHD has been a much more significant issue in Alabama than CWD and likely will cause far more deer deaths for the foreseeable future than CWD. I suspect EHD will continue to kill significantly more deer in pretty much every state than CWD for the foreseeable future. This baffles me from the state perspective as EHD is just accepted as it is what it is yet CWD is the proverbial "antichrist" and must have massive resources thrown at it to combat it.

Its nice to hear that depopulation is too costly for other states to try and implement in the wild. I hope as this threat evolves we see that option removed from Alabama's response plan as well.

The spread in Mississippi doesn't make sense to me based on the numbers tested and it moving "naturally" from the delta to central Ms in such a short period of time. I haven't done the statistical analysis but based on the numbers tested in the Issaquena county zone they should have very high confidence that it is not widespread there despite having found two cases. Statistically this doesn't make sense unless it has a higher prevalence there. If this is the case it could argue that it maybe more widespread than expect which doesn't bode well for finding it here.

Life is difficult
Science prevails over bulldoodoo and superstition every time