JDR4Bama - Yeah, I have some advice for ya. Start ice fishing! I do a lot of both open water and hard water fishing, and enjoy the hard water way more. If you decide to get into it, do yourself a favor, and spend a little money. Here's what I'd list for a starter kit -

1. - A one man flip over type shanty. I didn't use a shanty for years but trust me, they don't suck when it's 10 deg out. grin You can flip it up half way and use it as a wind break too. I fish like that probably 75% of the time cause I like being outside. Blocking the wind is usually all you need with decent clothes.

2. - Small heater for when it's really cold. I've never had any headache problem. You just have to make sure you've got some fresh air coming in your shanty when it's on.

3. - A good hand auger. Nils Master or Lazer would be a good choice. I'd recommend a 6 in. You'll need a skimmer to clear out the hole after you drill it.

4. - A fish finder of some sort. Some guys like flashers, some like myself like graphs. You don't need to break the bank on this. My graph is old as hell but it shows me the bottom, my lure and the fish. All I need to see...

5. - Some terminal tackle. A couple rods, small reels and some lures. I'm not sure what you'd be targeting so I can't help you much there. Again, you don't have to break the bank. Some of my favorite rods are the cheapest ones. Don't fall for the $100 graphite ice fishing rod. I don't think I've ever spent over $20 on one. Same thing with reels. A $15 one will do just fine. Just be sure that it has a decent drag.

I think that's about it. Don't blame me when the addiction sets in. wink

Last edited by Damyankee; 11/08/18 04:12 PM.