Picking just one from Vanderbilt might be challenging but I'd have to go with Fred Pancoast, who coached there from 1975-78. He was 13-39 overall and 2-22 in the SEC with three straight 0-6 seasons in the SEC. How they won 13 games in four seasons is a mystery.

A guy from my high school played there and Vandy was the first college game I ever saw in person. I was in junior high school and we went up to watch him. Dudley Field was a bandbox - still is.

As to how times have changed, after one of the games we went to I walked into the locker room to ask players for autographs. Walked into the coach's office - the head coach of an SEC team - and he said, "How did you get in here?" before someone walked me out. grin

One time when I was covering either UA or AU playing up there, I think kickoff was 11 a.m. and I left H'sv at 8:30 a.m., which was late. Should've left at about 7. But I wheeled straight to the stadium, parked and walked in without encountering any traffic. What few fans were there already were in the stadium and there was no traffic. Walked into the pressbox, got a hot dog and Coke, found my seat and the national anthem was playing. Perfect timing.

"Hunting Politics are stupid!" - Farm Hunter

"Bible says you shouldn't put sugar in your cornbread." Dustin, 2013

"Best I can figure 97.365% of the general public is a paint chip eating, mouth breathing, certified dumbass." BCLC, 2020