I've owned both and rebuilt both. I am not in the business of selling anything, so this isn't a promotion of any kind. The truth about electric carts is that they can be just as good as gas carts in going places and doing things IF you properly rig out and maintain your cart. You need the following to get long distance, or heavy load work: a heavy torque motor, 8 six volt batteries, not 6 8 volt, a lift kit, but prolly no higher than 4 inches, mud tires (but probably not bigger than 22"), and a rear seat. That will give you more miles and more hills than almost anyone I know drives on their lease in a morning or afternoon. I would tell you about controllers, but that would probably be Greek to most people.

The downsides to electric golf carts are (1) yes, they can run out of juice, (2) they can be more difficult to maintain, (3) a full water sinking of the cart/motor can be really expensive, although I have done some awful things to mine and haven't had to buy either yet (knock on wood), (4) you will have to replace the batteries about every 6 years, and (5) it is heavier than a gas cart UNLESS you really go high end and get lithium batteries. the upside is obviously noise. Deer and turkeys, don't seem to care about it. Gas they do.

Gas pros are (1) weight, (2) ease of use and maintenance, and(3) can be cheaper. They make a good bit of noise, and animals seem to care about it.

I have an electric cart and an inexpensive used four wheeler ($600), the latter for offseason work or getting to really grueling places.. There are very, very few times that I wish I had something gas that held four passengers, like a ranger. In a perfect world, I'd probably own one of those uber expensive hybrid Polaris Ranger gas to electric vehicles.

Bottom line, if you think the above description re: electric is good with you and you are concerned about noise, go electric.