I think you’ll have enough thatch to be ok looking at the pic…..Kinda depends on how much grassy stuff you have at ground level to go along with the sunn hemp…The sunn hemp probably won't make as much "hay" as what it looks like it will. .Kinda hard to say for sure on that one. What you have to worry about from the standpoint of birds eating the seed is not having enough thatch to cover it over and just leaving exposed seed on top of the ground. If you get it covered over well then that’ll buy you time and protection from the birds. I actually think a nice thick thatch covering is about the best protection you can have from birds.

I’ll also throw out there that there isn’t anything a bird likes better than freshly plowed dirt and seed. They LOVE scratching in it so don’t think they won’t get it just because you disk. I remember one year we were planting the fields in a hunting club I was in……It was later on in the day and one of the tractor guys realized that he had dropped something in one of the first plots. I don’t even remember what it was now….But I told them I’d ride back around and look for it. Well, when I got back to the first plot it was slam full of turkeys scratching our seed up and eating it. We hadn’t even finished planting yet and they were on it.

Last edited by CNC; 10/03/18 09:43 AM.

We dont rent pigs