Originally Posted by RiverWood
Wish I could figure out how to post pics but y’all would get tired of me posting. I sprayed several fields couple weeks ago with 48 Oz Roundup Pro to plant green fields. Road by yesterday to see if fields were ready to plant. Looked like a dessert except for Chufa. They are thriving. Looks like I sprayed with the purpose of releasing Chufa. I’m not a turkey hunter. Someone gave me 2 bags of Turkey Gold a couple years ago and I planted them with my corn planter just to see what they would do. Apparently my soil is good for Chufa. I’ll plant small grain/clover mix right over them

Thanks for the reply. If you sprayed that much gly and they survived, then I feel sure that what you have growing is yellow nutsedge. I've found that it's almost impossible to kill yellow nutsedge with gly, but real easy to kill chufas. I tried the low volume gly over chufas many years ago and it killed or damaged them heavily. I have tried 4 quarts of gly and couldn't even bother the yellow nutsedge.

Many AL soils have yellow nutsedge present in them, and nothing stimulates it like growing chufas. So I have found that when I start growing chufas in a field, it is eventually taken over by yellow nutsedge. I have tried hand spraying the nutsedge in the chufa patch, but the only herbicides that will kill nutsedge will of course kill the chufas so it leaves bare spots in the field. The only real solution is to just move the field.

I suspect that you had a stand of dormant yellow nutsedge where you planted chufas and it has now taken over the field. But regardless of which plant it is, you can turn it under and grow your winter plots without issue. Good luck with it

All the labor of man is for his mouth, and yet the appetite is not filled.