Originally Posted by deadeye48
Originally Posted by poorcountrypreacher

Call me an ornery old man if you want, but I've always seen the "slam" promotions as just hype for folks to make a lot of money. A wild turkey is a wild turkey. A longbeard is a longbeard. And keeping "World Records" is just nonsense. Beards are nothing but feathers; so what if a turkey has unusually long feathers on his chest? And long spurs are interesting, but a really old and sharp turkey may have short ones. I think hunters had a lot better perspective on turkey hunting back in the old days before national organizations came along with all the hype. And never doubt, it was the state agencies who were responsible for 95% of wild turkey restorations, and they did it without a lot of hype.

I judge a turkey by the quality of the hunt he provided. Everything else is secondary and not really important. Don't mean to pick on you, deadeye; it seems everyone wants their slam. I would enjoy a south FL hunt someday simply because it's the earliest season, but I doubt I ever do it. Good luck finding a place to get one.

I would never take your thoughts as picking on me. I can tell you for a fact that I've never considered this until last season
and I gave it a pass but have given a more thought to it and would like to add a grand slam to my string of accomplishments.
I completely agree with you about the bird providing the quality of the hunt and I view my accomplishments as a reflection on my ability to pursue what I want out of life

Your last sentence is very eloquently put. thumbup