The response I got was very similar but not exactly....keep in mind that I quoted the assistant directors comments in the Tuscaloosa news article in my emails and he had no comment on that.

Mr. Cockrell,
I was forwarded several emails from you today, one of which came from the Commissioner’s office, and I have been asked to respond to your concerns. I see that they are all centered around the change in the opening day of turkey season for the upcoming season. This quote was taken from your email addressed to specifically to me, “I realize that the CAB makes this recommendations but can’t you, as the director over rule them?” As you stated, the recommendation was not proposed by ADCNR Wildlife and Freshwater Fisheries Division (WFF) wildlife biologists. However, we do not make the regulations. We can make recommendations to the Commissioner and the Board, but we can’t over rule them. So, ultimately, it is their decision.

Here’s another quote from you in an email simply addressed to whom it may concern, “ I wish we had leadership in the DCNR that wouldn’t allow major changes like this to seasons without a concrete biological reason.” Be careful what you wish for, you may just get it. The first priority with our staff in recommending changes to season regulations is the wildlife resource in which we are deemed responsible for managing. If a later opening had been proposed by our staff, it would likely have been later than the 3rd Saturday in March based on preliminary data. Our WFF Wild Turkey Committee, in cooperation with researchers at Auburn University, has developed wild turkey prediction models using current biological data such as reproduction, survival, and harvest rates to predict future populations under various season and bag limit alternatives. Although this work is not yet complete, indications are pointing to a later opening and reduced bag limit as the optimal alternative to produce the most viable populations. We are currently updating the model and will include data gleaned from the current AU research project when it concludes next year. Besides the observed decline in population growth as evidenced by our statewide brood surveys and harvest trends, harvest intensity in the first couple weeks of the spring season may play a role in reducing the potential of hens being bred.

The final quote of yours I’d like to respond to came specifically to me, “I am just very disappointed that we would allow a change like this based on someone’s agenda rather than abound biological reason.” I am looking at the turkey season and bag limit recommendations through three pair of glasses. First as a turkey hunter with 40 years of experience here in Alabama. Secondly, as a college educated wildlife biologist with more than 25 years of on-the-ground experience of managing tens of thousands of acres in Alabama. And finally, as the Director of Wildlife and Freshwater Fisheries whose job is to manage, protect, conserve, and enhance the wildlife and aquatic resources of Alabama for the sustainable benefit of the people of Alabama. As a selfish turkey hunter, I want as many days afield as I can get regardless of the negative impact it could have on the resource. As a biologist, I want the season to start in April as the biological data suggests which would be best for the resource. As the Director, I have to weigh the consequences of both sides before I make recommendations. Although these season changes may be inconvenient for our hunters, me included, our focus is maintaining sustainable populations of wild turkeys, while providing hunting opportunities for all Alabamians, now and in the future.
Thank you for your input and I hope I have adequately addressed all of your concerns.

Chuck Sykes

Director

Wildlife & Freshwater Fisheries Division

Last edited by Southwood7; 08/14/18 01:36 PM.

The Spirit of God has made me; the breath of the Almighty gives me life.
Job 33:4