Originally Posted by Remington270

Yep. Chainsaw your trees down low and just plant over the top of them without discing. That's my plan until they rot out.

Originally Posted by CNC

It’s sounds like you’ve got a promising situation to work with. If you can get a bushhog in there then I’d just start bushhogging it and play it by ear as you go. The more you mow it…..the more you should see it revert back to a grassland prairie ecosystem. You’ll likely see some native warm season grasses begin to return. I would imagine that 2-3 mowings during the growing season would be all you needed. If you still had too many woody species like sweetgum after that then you could look to spraying if needed. If not, then you should be ready just to fall right in line with what the rest of us are doing. You could go ahead and broadcast something like cereal rye this fall if you wanted to but just keep your expectations in perspective.

Thanks for the replies. The place is a poster child for forestry mulching - 4" trees everywhere - but I'd rather just chip away at it with a bushhog, widening the roads as I can. The areas that I've mowed and burned have knocked the trees back almost completely. The old roads have lots of broomstraw already and there are a few areas I plan to throw out some seedheads from black eyed susans and purple coneflowers for a grassland area. I think I'll time any discing or dirt moving work to be in the early spring, so that the weeds will come on strong throughout the spring and summer, and then throw and mow the following fall.