Originally Posted by metalmuncher
I rig the kids up with a light spinning reel, 4 lb. ultra clear line (flourocarbon is good) with a small split-shot about 8-12" above a #12 or #14 egg hook and fresh Paulski's red salmon eggs on the hook. You can pick up the hooks and eggs either at the fly shop below the dam, or at the Cullman Walmart. I'd guess the one in Jasper has them too. You'll probably get fresher eggs at the fly shop though. Whole kernel corn from a can, can be just as good as the salmon eggs some days and a whole lot cheaper. I have had better luck just letting this rig drift in the current or rest on the bottom than under a float. If you do use a float, use a tiny one. If you like to use a spinner, a tiny black inline is good. As mentioned stay where you can evaculate quickly.

I had the chance to fish with my son today. It's the first time either of us have wet a hook since at least the middle of April and the first time I have had a chance to fish with him since about April of last year. He's grown and has kids of his own but they didn't get to join us today. We used some of the methods described above to catch a few. We kept a limit each. First time he has been with me chasing trout so he wanted to eat some. Yeah, there are a few there that aren't exactly the bosses of the river but there are a few good ones too. A buried hook will make you keep some that you normally wouldn't. The one on the right in the second pic is the best of the day, at well over 16". If they look a little slim in the pics, it 's because they are already gutted.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]