Here’s an example of how timing of mowing can be used as a tool. My apple orchard looked just about identical to the rest of the field earlier this summer. As a matter of fact, it was growing much thicker in dog fennel due to me having done nothing other than mowed the lanes the year before. Here’s a pic I found from last summer to give you some idea.

[Linked Image]

I decided to keep it a little cleaner this summer so I mowed it one time back in mid to late June after all the summer veg had really taken off. You can see how the timing of that mowing suppressed the broadleafs and threw the balance more toward the grasses. The dog fennel was heavily suppressed as a result.

[Linked Image]

In comparison, here is my natural screen of dog fennel that was simply mowed at a different time…..once back in Feb…..See how timing of mowing is a tool. The other areas of dog fennel around this patch have been semi-suppressed with cereal rye….yet another tool in our bag. It’s not about the equipment….it’s about the understanding of principles.

[Linked Image]

Here’s another example of how mowing and timing effects species composition….Where is the only place growing nutsedge???

Answer:…..My trail that gets repeatedly mowed.

[Linked Image]

We dont rent pigs