Well first of all welcome to the forum for Squirrel! You guys are doing a dang good job. thumbup

I just started watching this 2 days ago and being a big Osceola guide and hunter I really liked those Florida hunts. For you guys that havent been there now you can see just how thick and wet it is down there.

I know most guys here are used to watching "condensed hunts" on videos or TV. Now you get to see ALL the videos laid on hunts (or at least a lot more..because even they are editing some out.)

TV shows and DVDS and videos have to edit down the hunts so they fit into the segment lengths between commercials, or the time in videos each hunt is given.

Here you get to see 40-50 minutes of just 1 hunt..instead of 3 -4 kills in 4-7 minutes a harvest trying to pack kills in on a 30 minute show with only 22 and 1/2 minutes for the actual SHOW content after commercials. Gives you a lot more insight of what really is going on.

Also as to them getting better with the cameras, I think they are doing well in all that thicket just trying to get them on film. I thought they rolled pretty good tape for how thick it is.

As you guys know I was a TV videographer and editor. I am very critical on footage...but we hunted IMPROVED Pastures on Private managed lands there. It is A LOT easier to film in the open fields I got to film in then those dang palmetto thickets and swamps! I think they do well as you can in that thicket to get the birds on tape.

Also you get to see how those long legged Osceolas will go through swamps and water like nothing. On the state land hunts we harvested gobblers on down there it was just like that...thick and wet. You can either try to shoot them on the roads and firebreaks. Or find openings in the cypress ponds etc where they can pitch down to and walk.

By the way, when they talk about "domes" they mean Cypress domes or Heads. The cypresses grow where there is water or cypress ponds.

The majority of the rest of the land is palmetto thickets with PINES.

As for them finding LONE gobblers not henned up, the school of thought we always went with is if you get ON a bird and he is in those PINES, he usually is a LONE gobbler that was looking for hens when he roosted there. We found if you got into the cypress heads on a bird there were usually hens there with him.

If you can find one alone in those pines they are usually a lot easier to kill as at least they dont have hens..and WANT to!

I think they give a great portrayal of PUBLIC LAND hunting for Osceolas. The main point being how wet, how thick it is and how you really have to work to get them.

Another point I wanted to make was how you see them in their TRUCK in the AMs filming, and how they get there EARLY and wait!

Well in Florida on many of the public lands they only let so many people in. ( one place we hunted and killed on it was the first 200 hunters). On the opening morning, there is a LINE of parked trucks at the gate waiting for it to open. If you ever plan on going to Florida and hunting public land you need to know you have to get there early...and even sleep in the car..especially the first days!

I like that they showed that.

I think the whole series is very good so far. Ive watched all the Florida hunts and a lot of the Bama hunts. Ill try to watch the rest yall posted today.

Good job posting the series by the way! thumbup beers

Last edited by outdoorobsession; 07/29/18 10:41 AM.