Originally Posted by whack-n-stack
That looks really good. Have you been keeping up with your hours and materials cost? I’d be interested to know how much you’ve got in it.

I finally got around to putting together a spreadsheet last night. I had to pull my credit card statements from the last 2 years, cut and paste all the data into the spreadsheet, then sort and organize and then add stuff that I paid for with other resources and also add all the labor that I have outsourced. Then I cleaned up the whole thing and totaled it up.

The grand total so far $36,920.18

That cost includes most all the flooring that I purchased last week and the interior doors. The only major expense I need to still pay for is the septic system, so we will probably be a little over $40,000 when we finish. $35,000 was my initial goal, and I almost did it, but the more it became apparent that it was not going to be just a vacation cabin, but our eventual retirement home, then things started to escalate. For instance we are going to have about $2500 in just the shower up stairs now.

Still even at $40k, if you include the lofts as living space I have about 1100 square feet, and that works out to the fact that I have built a pretty nice house for about $36 - $37 a square foot. I attribute that to: An efficient design, I made use of inexpensive labor when it was available, a lot of free stuff from friends, found a lot of good deals on other stuff, and I think not being in a hurry allowed me the time to find good deals, on materials and labor, and not have to finance anything.