Originally Posted by CNC
[quote

Originally Posted by CNC
Originally Posted by JUGHEAD
The MLB from the 96 team you mentioned was Carlton Persons and he was an animal for sure. That team was no joke. Went undefeated and was ranked #1 in 5A until they had their wins vacated because of Carlton's eligibility snafu.

Yep, I believe that was him. I got to play against him twice. We played him at Cleburne Co in the playoffs of my junior year and then he transferred to N. Jackson and I played him again my senior year. I played RB both of those years so I got to see him a lot.

My senior year when we played them we had lost most of the offensive line from the year before and were playing with undersized guards in the middle that weren’t any bigger than me and green underclassman at tackles. To make things worse, we got a new coach that year and he decided instead of continuing to run the wing-t that we had been so successful with…..he decided we needed to go back to the good ol’ fashioned “I” and play power football against teams like NJ. Sooooooo….. I got to line up in an I formation and run straight at that big sum bitch all night long with 190 lb blockers in front of me. I was tough as nails for a 185 lb running back so don’t think I didn’t ball up and hit him with everything I had….. But we were just WAY over matched that year. It’s the only game I can ever remember playing where I didn’t care if I got the ball any more or not. I felt like I was running for my life…… laugh
LOL! NJ has had a bunch of good ones, but that was one of the top 2 or 3 defenses in school history. Maybe the best. The speed, size, and toughness was unreal. Their stats against 5A and 6A teams, BARELY being a 5A team and historically a 4A team, were nasty.

Last edited by JUGHEAD; 06/26/18 05:29 PM.

"The only reason I shoot a 3.5" shell for turkeys is because they don't make a 4" one." - t123winters