Originally Posted by therealhojo
Originally Posted by poorcountrypreacher
Originally Posted by therealhojo
Preacher-
We planted a patch a few years ago and the turkey got it just like crows in corn. When the sprout came up, they pulled it up and ate the tuber. Just walked down the row, didn't scratch anything but you could see the tracks and got them on camera. I was a good and bad feeling- it was good to know I had enough turkey to eat a 2 acre plot to dirt, but bad feeling not knowing how to make them grow.

That was one of the reasons I quit planting them in rows; turkeys would just walk the row and get every tuber. Of course, the other reason was that my planter was junk and I got tired of fooling with it.

So the crows may have been innocent after all, but 3 of them took a dirt nap anyway this afternoon. If only those squirrels weren't under government protection.

smile

My ol Pappy told me that if you hang the dead crows up by their feet in at the edge of the field, it would stop other crows from coming in.

That definitely works. My dad had a pecan orchard and crows would come in by the hundreds when they were mature. He would have a big hunt every year and hang the ones we killed by limbs and they would abandon the place.

My little patch has grown a lot in just 4 days. It also serves double duty as my redneck sporting clays range. I was shooting this morning and a crow had the nerve to fly over and see what the shooting was about. He was about 50 yards and only dusted him with #9 shot. Gotta believe I at least ruined his morning.

[Linked Image]

All the labor of man is for his mouth, and yet the appetite is not filled.