I got back into fishing last fall, so granted I haven't been on the lake in 7-8 years, but what in the heck is responsible for Lake Guntersville looking like a bush hogged field? Every part of the lake that I went to this afternoon had so much eelgrass and hydrilla pieces floating on top (mostly eelgrass) that it was impossible to throw a bait with a treble hook on it without getting fouled up with grass. We were fishing for schooling stripe and were fishing close to and on the main river channel and I gave up after 20 minutes. I ran up to Short creek and it looked exactly the same way. From Pole Cat hollow to the big river bridge, to the big bend above the bridge on Short Creek was just one big mess.

This was vegetation anywhere from 2" long to a foot long. Millions of pieces of it. It was so thick out in the river channel that it showed up from the surface to the bottom on side scan in some spots. For those of you who have a Helix and know what it looks like when you cross a wake, that's what the screen looked like from top to bottom of the entire water column.

What in the heck causes this?

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14