I had a conversation with one of my employees recently regarding tardiness. He is late to work 3-4 days per week. He lives less than a mile from the shop. He has a truck that seems to have some sort of issue either cranking, or starting every day.

He is scheduled to be at work at 7:30. I asked him what time he got up? He said he sets his clock for 6:55 and hits the snooze twice "since I only live a 3/4 mile away".

I said, you know damn well your truck is going to give you trouble a few days a week, you need to get yourself out of bed about 6:30 and see if it will start. That way if it doesn't, you'll have time to jump it off, use starting fluid, or walk to work!!! He said he just didn't think he could get up that early. I told him fine, the next time you know your going to be late, just go back in the house, change out of your uniform, collect the rest of your uniforms to turn in, and bring them by and drop them off because you will no longer have a job.

He's been on time since but, it's only been a few days.

On the other hand, I have a guy that had his wisdom teeth cut out on Monday that showed up yesterday morning ready to work. I sent him home for another day of recovery.