Originally Posted by JUGHEAD
Originally Posted by Turkeymaster
those boys are straight killas
I have watched every video I can get my hands on that involves a hunt with that Dave Owens cat. He is a turkey MURDERER. And he can obviously run the hell out of calls given he has won (at least one..not sure what else) an NWTF Grand National competition (not to mention just listening to him on his videos). With all of that in mind, I am especially intrigued as it pertains to quality of calling and the corresponding ability to call up turkeys and kill em. I will admit that I have long since subscribed to the old line of thinking that you don't have to be a great caller to kill turkeys. I am living proof that it is true. However, I can't help but wonder if I have left turkeys on the table because my calling is so poor compared to somebody like him? That bastage calls up turkeys from one end of this country to the other, in all weather conditions, with and without hens, etc. etc. It almost seems like all of the stars have to align properly for me to flat call one up in the woods like I want to and it "seems" Dave Owens does it at will, even on Alabama public land birds like the ones I hunt. I dunno. Just something to think about in the off season! I know it sure can't hurt to be a good caller and I'm planning to work on mine before next season. I have it in my mind that although a turkey will answer me consistently when I call, they aren't 100% sure it is real and they often hang up accordingly. Certainly a lot of that is that I hunt Jackson County, mountain, public turkeys a whole bunch and they are more call shy than any other ones I have ever hunted (ya'll ask ol Big Dave "Daggerz" on here, who can run the hell out of calls, what he thinks about our turkeys :but I'm almost convinced that authenticity plays a bigger role in places like that as compared to less pressured places.

Ive pondered this myself. Much like you, a good half the birds I kill are more a product of strategy than them coming to the call. Excellent calling certainly can’t hurt. Especially if you’re hunting a lot of land that you don’t know well.