I had a concrete sub a couple years ago on a big govt job on Eglin that was telling me about it and he's drawn for it several times. Has killed hogs but never killed a sambar. If I remember right, he said the herd on the island is like 75-100 animals and they issue around 100 permits. Hunt is for population control only. Normally like 4 or 6 total killed on the 3 day hunt. Like Troy said above, Charlie told me there are a ton of rattlesnakes and lots of hogs, decent numbers of whitetails (but you cant shoot them on the Sambar hunt dates or at least not when he hunted it) . Said the Sambar typically stayed in the wet marshy areas and the whitetails stayed on the higher ground. They hunted from climbers and got around on mountain bikes with pull carts. Almost positive that it is bow and muzzleloader only. Access is by boat only. He also said something was funny about the legal shooting hours, like you could only hunt until 3:00 or 4:00 in the afternoons, or something like that. I remember that specifically because he said that if you could hunt til dark he felt your chances of killing a sambar would be excellent/better but you couldn't sit til dark for some reason. It's a hard hunt due to limited access. Other thing he said was to anchor your boat way offshore and wade in. First year they went they anchored just off the beach and the tide was out and had an unfavorable wind and when it came time to leave, their boat was high and dry 100 yds from the water.