Originally Posted by LIOJeff
Originally Posted by Alagator

I've Always Heard Outlaws Make the Best GWs

Back in the late 70s I was doing some whitetail research on Ft. Rucker. I had a night permit that required me to inform the GW when I was going out so they wouldn't waste their time on me. I was totally clueless about spotlighting until one of them showed me the way. I asked his partner about how he had mastered this technique. Partner said the guy was from the best poaching family in the next county over.

Sounds like Jimmy Jones 😀[/quote]

Where do I send the chicken dinner?
We were out one night shining, and he put the truck in neutral and just let it roll to a stop--no brake lights. Then he whispered to me---"I'm going to turn off the Q-beam, we are going to back up to that plum patch. There is a deer behind those those two trees at the edge of the patch. When I turn it back on, look for the horizontal line between the trees, and shoot just below it." we did it just like he said, and dropped the deer. You couldn't see but maybe six inches of deer between the two trees, and he had spotted it as we rolled by. He liked to drive the truck with his right hand and use his left to hold the light. Another guy that rode with us some nights was Clem Parnell--at the time he was an Army MP/game warden on Ft. Rucker. He also knew a trick or two. The other state CO was Gordon Bennett. He was a deadly shot with a .264 Win Mag, and he lived to catch poachers. I once watched him wrangle a confession from a guy based on the evidence of one tiny drop of blood on a pant leg. A local once told me he figured Gordon Bennett would swim naked across the river to arrest his own grandmother for being one bream over the limit. Here is a pic of us in younger days. The CO is Gordon Bennett..for some strange reason, Jimmy Jones was camera shy.
[Linked Image]