Originally Posted by 2Dogs
Our terra is varied , not like LA where every acre is basically the same and easy to control a fire . Any prescribed burning up here is on top of the plateau where the lower grade timber is and you can control the fire . Fire gets outa hand up here you have real problems. I've yet to talk to a state forester that has been trained on fighting mountain fires. They just do the best they can. Nobody in there right mind would light up on the side of the mountain much less North to East face where the real $ trees are. I visited Brent M yesterday at the mill he buys logs for there was one white oak butt cut worth 1,000 bucks , there were several more there close to that. Folks up here aren't lighting them up, me included. I'll just stick to doing it how I have in the past and settle for a mature 160" buck every now and then. smile

Yep, pretty much how we ended up with the Gatlinburg fires 2 years ago wink Since nobody burns much up there and nature says it MUST burn occasionally, we can expect more Gatlinburgs in the future! However, I don't blame you. Burning on significant terrain is a challenge, we burn Coosa/Tallapoosa often and, while it isn't your mountains, it's pretty steep and varied. I do like burning terrain though. We don't get to burn flat ground often. If I actually lived and worked in LA, I might have more of a chance smile

Interesting statistic from that publication. Appalachian hardwood ecozone - pre European settlement burn interval was 13 years, post European settlement fire return interval 7 years, Modern fire return interval (with every fire put out) is 46 years!!! Think we are due for a big one like out west?!

Last edited by gobbler; 05/19/18 09:19 PM.

I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine