TWRA commissioners are meeting today in Tennessee. The agency just posted this on Twitter:

Chuck Yoest, an assistant chief of wildlife, is discussing the possibility of a late August hunt when bucks are often in velvet. The commission is discussing the possibility of this. The agency does not favor for now as it continues working on a "strategic" management plan. 1/2

The agency and commission have been approached by some sportsmen about the possibility of an August "velvet" hunt. Deer Program Manager James Kelly is outlining a number of studies that the agency's wildlife division has planned. 2/2

I don't give beans about shooting a buck in "velvet" and don't see the big attraction, but hope IF they do it then it'll be with biology and the population in mind instead of how much money they can rake in from nonresident hunters. Kentucky and South Carolina see a boon in nonresident hunters thanks to their early seasons despite the heat.

I fear, though, that money and influence will win over biology. It usually does.

"Hunting Politics are stupid!" - Farm Hunter

"Bible says you shouldn't put sugar in your cornbread." Dustin, 2013

"Best I can figure 97.365% of the general public is a paint chip eating, mouth breathing, certified dumbass." BCLC, 2020