Originally Posted by Out back
Originally Posted by Drake322
The first timber rattler I ever saw was when I was cruising a tract up at Abel Mall. 40 ac surrounded by national forest land. I was close to a creek when I stopped to take a point. Jabbed my stick in the ground, looked down, and my foot was about 2" from that SOBMFer. If you were within 10 miles you should have heard me hollering and screaming when I jumped. After I I took my underwear off, I picked up a rock about the size of my fist and hit it. It just rolled around for a min and coiled back up. I hit it again, same result. Third time I was mad/scared whatever you want to call it and drew back hit it with all I had. The snake just rolled again but this time it went off toward some canes on the creek. This was the FIRST time it rattled during the whole altercation. This was middle August and I have always heard "dog days" make them mean. Not this one. Yes I was wearing chaps.

For the rest of the time until I finished the tract, every time I would step on a stick no bigger than 3/8" in diameter I jumped.

Not sure why you needed to remove your underwear before assaulting an innocent snake.
Rattlesnakes aren't mean or aggressive. You probably scared the hell out of him with the underwear episode.

Too funny, but I've been there. When my daughters were young they came and got me because they found a rattlesnake in back yard. When I saw him he was already coiled up and pissed-off; sucker actually came at me for a few feet before I punched his ticket. Usually, they will move on or let you pass by, but just like copperheads--if you get one mad, he will come at ya.