Originally Posted by CNC
Originally Posted by Mdees
So you are saying that only people who can take off x-day to y-day should be allowed to shoot does ........

Yes…..Doe days worked just fine the first time we did it. Folks found a way to go on those hunts. Those were even special hunts for most folks. This is part of what I’m talking about with the mentality change. Does went from being sacred to being target practice. We’ve went from being happy with a conservative doe harvesting period that favored the resource….. to folks thinking that we are all now entitled to a season long free for all that favors the hunter’s convenience and deep freeze.

We should have never even went there with doe harvesting. If we could go back in time now to the early 90’s and foresee the real impact that coyotes were about to have on the deer populations……we would have been much more conservative with any changes made......If we would have left doe days in place and just tweaked them a little….. then the pendulum would have likely settled out a little smoother and we would likely be in a different place today.

I'm not claiming to be an expert on this subject matter by any means, but you're definitely correct about the does being target practice. I have hunted with folks who don't have a problem blowing down more than one at a time. And honestly I get it. We don't wake up that early to teach the deer lessons in humanity, but come on.