Originally Posted by BhamFred
your daytime run needs to be dog proof with 2x4 welded wire fencing. One chicken killing dog in yer run will convince you that it was a real big mistake not to dog proof it.

Night time roost area/box/coop has to be coon which means no small holes, no light wire, no birds roosting close enough to grab thru the wire. A chicken that has been grabbed and torn apart by a coon pulling it piece by piece thru the wire is a pitiful sight and will make yer blood boil.

My night time coop is a 12x12 room tight as Ft Knox, with an automatic opening/closing door. It has windows wire covered with 2x4 wire. Daytime run is chain link fencing. I may be over doing it but having fought the coon wars for years I don't think so...lots of dead chickens in that learning curve.

What he said!

My coop is large and likely one of the most expensive around! We spared no expense, to critter proof the entire thing. The nesting area and roost are in the same "room" but on different sides. The nesting area is closest to the door, which is an open doorway, no actual door. The roost is on the back side of the room and totally enclosed. The wall on the front of this room does not go all the way to the top, we left a few inches for venting. I have electricity in there, so heating can be available if the need arises also, for light!

I have two different areas of the run, with one partially covered where I have the food, food cans and some water. Water is spread throughout the run and the nesting area. My only regret is that I did not cover more of the run area. When we have heavy rains, that run becomes treacherous for walking. I have busted my arse more than once slipping and slidding in the muck.

We've never had a breach by critters and I know several have tried. My neighbor had coons or something get in her coop a while back and they killed all her chickens - it was a bloody mess.

Be kind to one another and tell the ones you love that you love them often. We never know what tomorrow will bring.