Originally Posted By: JUGHEAD
Originally Posted By: YEKRUT
JUG has one of two things going for him, one is what I like to call imabeginnerandcantdoanythingwrong YET or number 2 where he just has so many birds where he hunts that all he has to do is run over them with his moped while they eat out of the cattle troughs.
I was blessed with LOTS of encounters last year. A sure enough turkey slayer could have prolly limited in both Tennessee AND Alabama had they been on the same hunts I had on the same properties. I suck, spook birds, etc. and will do more of the same this year I'm certain of it. I'm gonna be having a FREAKIN BLAST while doing it though you can count on that!

There is one thing about it, if you have a bunch of birds you can do what you want and still kill them for the most part. smile

I had a ton of birds when I was learning and IMO having a bunch of birds to fool with allows you to learn much faster than someone who can only play the game every now and then on public land or private ground that is not as heavily populated. IF you learn from your mistakes, you will be a turkey slayer in no time IMO when you have good places to learn on. About 5 or 6 years into my turkey hunting career I remember years where I would call into shotgun range 30+ different longbeards and only shoot my limit (2 for a while and then up to 3 at the time in TN) by only shooting birds that looked to have full thick 10+ inch beards or better. I screwed up alot then and still do, but when I did screw up then I could strike one up around every bend it seemed and calling up 3 -5 longbeards at the time was the norm. I had a ton of birds on all of my places so anytime I went I had a better than %50 chance of coming home with a bird each trip the best I remember. I am MUCH more careful now and do not have a 1/10th of the birds I used to so I sort of have to or I would be playing the game very much. You keep killing birds, because I AM going to keep ragging you no matter what. smile

Some men are mere hunters; others are turkey hunters. —Archibald Rutledge—