Trying to build up a nice arrow set up for my new bow.

GOAL: ability to hunt both deer in Alabama and probably one elk hunt this fall
BOW: Carbon Icon (335 fps IBO), 71 lbs, 29" draw
What I think I want: mid to mid-high weight to carry momentum and minimize noise, but not so elevated as to lose excessive speed, and as high of FOC as possible

Broadhead choice: 125 fixed blade. In the style of either Solid Broadhead or Dirtnap DRT

I've researched till my head is spinning, and discovering that this archery stuff is complicated. What I can gather is that I need to find a durable shaft with as "minimum of GPI as possible per spine" so that I can load a heavy head+insert to gain the FOC I want. I've discussed with Easton and Bohning and here's what I came up with:

Hexx 260 shaft (new spine out the last couple weeks) cut to 28.5" carbon length
50 grain insert
125 gr broadhead
Bohning Heat Vanes, 1 degree offset, 4-fletch so I can align with main blade plus bleeders

468gr total weight, 16.1% FOC, and 286 fps est speed.

What are your thoughts? Easton said that length plus broadhead/insert gave it proper spine using the new "260" spine they came out with (can't remember if I needed to possibly add another 1/2" or so to make optimum). The 75gr insert made it weak spined I believe. The Bohning people said if I wanted to go 4-fletch to consider the Heat vane at 1degree offset. He said it was quiet and should stabilize the broadhead if I was well tuned.

If this is reasonable, I was going to get 6 arrows put together and see how they fly. If you see an error in my thinking please let me know, or if you think I'm on target with my way of thinking please also chime in.

Thanks

Last edited by M48scout; 03/08/18 07:53 PM.