I agree about almost all not holding out for 5+ — which is why we rarely have 5+ bucks here.

I like big bucks. I like to see bucks grow. But if I see a spike that makes me happy or I'm in the mood for meat and don't see (or decide not to shoot) does, then I probably won't hold off.

I have a spike on the land I'm tinkering with now that probably is 3 years old. Thick tines, like daggers. He's been in the same area so I think he's a homebody. If I see him thru summer, and especially if he's still a spike, he's a goner.

And then I'm going to turn my attention on a bigger buck that I probably will target all season. I think he's at least 3; still not blocky and big-shouldered yet but IMO is dominant in the 'hood. He looked really nice this winter, will fill out more this summer (hopefully) in body and antlers, and I hope to have fun tangling with him. If he skirts me, so be it.

"Hunting Politics are stupid!" - Farm Hunter

"Bible says you shouldn't put sugar in your cornbread." Dustin, 2013

"Best I can figure 97.365% of the general public is a paint chip eating, mouth breathing, certified dumbass." BCLC, 2020