Originally Posted by DAX
Originally Posted by jdfarm23
Originally Posted by ColeT
Ive got land in east bullock county and also some near troy. The deer in east bullock have the tiniest bodies, 6-7 year old bucks go around 170 lbs. At my place near troy a 6-7 year old buck will go 210-230+. I realize that the amount of agriculture effects things, but is there a different strand of deer DNA that causes this big of a difference. For instance I took my taxidermist a cape from troy this year and he hung it by one killed outside hurtsboro. they were both nice, old bucks. The head on mine was like literally almost double the size. Just curious to what y'alls thoughts on this is.

Pretty interesting topic. I have no experience hunting eastern bullock county, but I do hunt in western Russell county, close to hurtsboro and not too far from the bullock county line. We aren’t dragging out 250 lb bucks but weve killed a few that are 200-220 lbs each of the past few seasons. And killed some 135-140 lb does as well.

Deer don’t know where the county lines are so I’m pretty surprised that eastern bullock is full of scrawny deer but the areas around them tend to be better
Thats Enon/Sehoy area and it's definitely not the east Bullock I was talking about. Anytime you have large land owners instead of paper companies you are going to have a better situation. It ain't as unbelievable as it was when Cam had it all but that area hasn't dropped much. A lot of money still in that area and it's a top area in the state y'all just need to get a handle on hogs around there before they spread and take over.

You are right about the hogs. They are about to take over if something isn’t done soon. We killed 30+ in deer season alone. Got a couple of he remote controlled traps in the works right now, hoping to do our part in keeping the numbers down. Hasn’t affected the deer hunting much so far, but obviously more hogs=less food for the deer