Originally Posted by dnolen

I won't say your trolling. But I will say this. You feel there is no need for these weapons. Me and a lot of these do. I myself taught my son to shoot with a colt m4. With all the adjustments on the lop you can fit kids better to teach them proper shooting. A lot of us use them for this purpose. A lot of our kids have killed their first deer with one. So to us they are used for what they intended for. Hunting. See this is where a lot of people fall short. They don't see a use for them. We do. We use them to teach the next generation and to pass on the love of the outdoors.

That’s basically where I am at with it.

Analogy I told a buddy, AR style weapons (call them whatever you want) are about like horses to me. I don’t own one. I don’t foresee a situation in which I ever have any interest in owning one. I do think they’re cool, I like looking at them, and even enjoy using one from time to time.

Banning horses (or these rifles) wouldn’t effect my life in any way. However, I do know it would negatively effect a lot of people (friends/family of mine) who do enjoy them, so I’m empathetic to that.

Basically it boils down to “would a ban stop school shootings?” Which the answer is obviously no.

The “why do you need one” argument doesn’t work, because most things we don’t “need”

I know this is way over simplified, and doesn’t bring in the amendment, or god given rights stuff. Just where my thoughts are on it.

I am afraid of a slippery slope, of giving a little here and there,... as others have pointed out