Originally Posted by blumsden
A local church goes to the races at Talladega and hands out free water, firewood, and food to the drunks down there. I know several people that goes to the church and they don't like it at all. Several older people that go to the church needs some help and you know the local battered women and children homes need help. People who go to the races have money and buy tickets, they don't need help. I guess its more exciting to go to the racetrack and help out drunks, than it is to help out some local shelters and members of your own church.

Sounds just like a lot of these so called foreign missions where they go to these tropical islands ( Costa Rica ) comes to mind. They spend thousands to get there and they always seem to find time to go zip lining thru the rainforest, deep sea fishing, jet skiing and horseback riding. Now they do preform some work but that money could be better spent if not in there own community then in the Appalachian mountains or in the Indian reservations. Or how about this nouvelle idea help out the old people that are freezing in the winter and roasting in the summer all along eating dog and cat food. But those things are not as appealing as those missionary retreats. If you do go on those then step out thru those those armed gates and save those drug lords and addict and see how that goes over.

Help should be at home first not abroad. Just my 2cents worth.