Originally Posted by Alagator
Originally Posted by BhamFred
I don't eat it to save money, no telling what that meat costs. I eat it because I prefer it to beef.

I started seriously filling the freezer back in the late 70s, early 80s hunting a DMP property in Baldwin county with literally hundreds of doe tags. Then we got a few doe days, then more, then 2 does a day. Never bought beef. Ate venison almost every day, sometimes breakfast and dinner. Ate a lot of bream, crappie, bass, Spanish and king mackerel. Gave up on the mackerel due to mercury concerns. Every year bought a couple of turkeys, a few chickens, and some pork butts for the BGE. Unlike the mackerel, there is no data showing anything nasty in venison. Low fat, high protein. And a much more humane treatment for the animal--no nasty feed lot, no hormones or antibiotics, and none of the stress of a slaughterhouse. Just meandering around, then bang/flop.
Now that we live in Oregon, my wife and I can take a total of 2 deer per year. When I finish boning out a deer, there isn't enough red meat left to feed a coyote, and I keep the liver, heart, and kidneys too. We do buy some Pacific wild-caught salmon and steelhead, along with Dungeness crab, but most of our red meat is still venison.

What do you do with the kidneys?

“Everything Woke Turns To SH_T” Donald J. Trump