Originally Posted by 2Dogs
Originally Posted by poorcountrypreacher
Originally Posted by blumsden
Some of these guys think we don't legally know the difference between baiting and not. We know the difference, we just think it's stupid. As I said earlier. Anything, and I mean anything you do to your property to encourage wildlife to use it, falls under baiting them in to me. Some people are elitists. Some guys think unless you kill a deer with traditional archery, your not a REAL hunter. Some people don't gun hunt and think that people who do, are not REAL hunters. Just like some people believe that when they clear an area and put in a food plot, lime it ,fertilize it, plant it, and then hunt it or hunt the trails leading to it, are not baiting. OH no, we're providing a year round food source. Yes, you are, but your also baiting. Not by the definition of the law, but your still baiting. How much money you've invested in the food plot, doesn't change a damn thing.

I don't think that; I just think you ought use a different word to describe it. Baiting has a legal definition, and it doesn't mean anything done to land to improve habitat. Planting a crop and putting out bait are not the "same thing" in a legal sense. They involve completely different actions, so they are not the same thing in a physical sense, so in what sense are they the same thing?

As best I can understand, you guys are saying they are the "same thing" in some kind of moral or ethical sense - am I understanding correctly? I would agree that they could be the same from an ethical sense, but the fact is that in AL right now, they are not. One is legal and one is not. A genuine supplemental feeding program is now legal; but if you hunt inside that magical barrier the dcnr has defined, then it becomes bait and in my opinion is not the "same thing" as growing a crop in any sense.

If this is just an argument that the current state policy on feeding is lousy policy, then I agree with you completely. I have often said I'm not buying corn to feed deer, but if someone else does it's not something I care about. I really hope they never legalize feeding turkeys during the season; that would require a much shorter season or we wouldn't have many left.

Good hunting to all.

Preacher, do you think scattering corn via a bush hog is baiting?

If I understand the law correctly, then it would not be. If that is illegal for the critter you are hunting, then I would say yes. For deer hunting, I can't understand why anyone would wanna bush hog corn. I can promise you the dang pine goats can get every grain of corn out of the field without any help from me. But when I plant corn, I don't want the deer to eat it.

My only disagreement with you on this is the terminology some of you are using. I think you ought to find another word to use besides baiting. If you define it so broadly that it includes anything that isn't natural, then you have made baiting synonymous with hunting, since nothing is left that is truly natural. It doesn't make a whole lot of difference, but I've read poll results that say non-hunters still have a majority support for hunting, but a very strong majority is against baiting. To say that essentially all hunting in AL is done over a baited area is probably not good for the future of hunting, and I don't think the average person understands all habitat improvement to be baiting.

I think a genuine supplemental feeding program can certainly be part of a management plan for wildlife. If I had unlimited resources I would hire a guy to build me a bunch of feeders and keep them full of high protein deer food during the critical times of the year. But I have limited resources, so the deer can scrap for a living like the rest of us. But if I did have out supplemental food, I wouldn't hunt over it, so it wouldn't be bait.

I would agree that planting, burning, and supplemental feeding can all be components of a management plan for deer. None of those things meet the legal definition of baiting. I just think you oughta use a different word.

Ok Troy, I will quit. smile

Last edited by poorcountrypreacher; 02/19/18 01:29 PM.

All the labor of man is for his mouth, and yet the appetite is not filled.