Originally Posted by treemydog
The 6.5 has been around for over 120 years.. just in a cartridge that most folks have forgotten about. The 6.5x55 swede has been killing Scandinavian moose and men for a long time. The only issue with the swede, is that ammo companies have to produce rounds to fire in the early 1900s era military rifles, as well as the more modern receivers. The result is a mild pressured round producing a mid-2000 ft/sec velocity that offers nearly nothing but nostalgia. To handloaders that are making rounds for modern (stronger actions) the swede can and will do everything that a 260 or a CM will do. If you do your homework, you'll see what I'm talking about. I'm loading for a model 70 in the swede, and even though I'm way over the 'book' values for even the modern firearms, I'm getting ZERO pressure signs on the brass. I'm going to the range next weekend to see what my clover-leaf group recipies are producing (velocity wise) pushing 143 gr. ELDX pills.

I also own a Remmy Varmint 308 that is my 1000 yard gun. But I shoot both rifles with equal enthusiasm, and I suspect their effect on game would be very similar out a really long ways.

You are 100% correct on the 6.5 swede and I just had a long discussion with a gunsmith friend of mine about the CM, 260 and swede. We both agree that theres not much difference in the loads for modern firearms when comparing these rounds

When I need expert advice I tend to talk to myself
The older I get the better I used to be