The grand finale...

I get 5 calls yesterday while I'm at work. Each one from the same number and they leave 5 voice mails lol. 4 call were within 10 minutes of each other. I'm swamped at work right now and had to wait til I got off to call back. Hunter had shot a big deer Thursday at 445 and he said he'd been out there all day looking for him. He'd tracked it a few hundred yards and lost blood. Said while he was tracking, there was a hot doe being chased by 5 different bucks. I started thinking about this track. It was going to be a full 24 hours after thw shot at least before I could get to it. All the hot lines, all the hunters spreading the scent around. I got worried that Spark wouldn't be able to find it, so I called back up. The great Ammon Mckinney and Woodrow.

Ammon had prior plans and couldn't be there til 930 last night. We met up last night and took both dogs along. We started at the hit site and both dogs took off. You can tell Woodrow is way more experienced than Spark as he is gone. At one point he was a couple hundred yards ahead of her and she's granny walking this track. We get off the side of the mtn down in a bottom that's already flooded. It had been raining for an hour when we started this track.

We get to this big creek and I'm trying to figure out how to cross. Ammon happens to see the buck bedded down about 100 yards out and we wait to see what the dogs do. Woodrow is on him in no time. At one point I'm pretty sure he had that buck by the ear lol. I found a beaver dam no cross and we hauled over there. Ammons filming and calls the dogs off while I sneak around the side. Bam! Bucks piles off in a creek and Woodrow is right back on top of him. It's high fives and pics then reality sets in. We've tracked this deer 1.59 miles. We're .71 miles from the truck. I knew a little about this area and knew of an old road that we could get the buck to and get a 4 wheeler to get him out. So we start the drag back across all the creeks and to the road.

This track was 31 hours old before we found the deer. It had rained about 2 or 3 hours. I'm pretty sure after seeing how Spark worked the track that she would have found this deer but I didn't want to take chances. I'm very proud of what she's become in our first year. I was proud to be apart of this track with Ammon. He, David Jones and I have all become good buddies thru this and I'm already looking forward to next year. Ammon is making a video of the track and as soon as he's done I'll link to it here.

I also got to see first hand how Woodrow turns into the Incredible Hulk when he finds a deer!!

[Linked Image]