Ok abolt here you go….this morning’s story…………

So we get there this morning and start talking more about what happened and what they had found the night before. It turns out they had found some bone while tracking so I assumed we were gonna be dealing with a leg shot. We started tracking and both dogs were progressing the track pretty well. It wasn’t a wide open track but it was a pretty steady walk for most of the ways. We went past the 300 yard mark where they had lost blood and progressed the track on out to about 600 yards farther where I heard Otis go on bay out ahead of us.

The undergrowth was really thick in the area where the deer had bedded so we had to sneak in really close. Once I spotted Otis….I got down on my hands and knees and started scanning the undergrowth. Finally spotted the buck about 20 yards away but he was behind a lot of brush. I took aim at the cleanest looking hole and fired…..Boom!!!.....He took off with Otis hot on his arse. Otis has a much more excited, high pitched bark he lets out when the deer takes off like that. There they went…Yep!!! Yep!!! Yep!!! Yep!!!!......

We took off behind them!....About 100 yards away Otis bayed him up again. We eased in and this time I could see through an opening to the deer’s body…..Boom!!!!!.....but the deer took off again!!....Otis took off with him and they broke out into a small hayfield. I could hear him on bay again and when I got to the edge of the woodline I could see them squared off about 60-70 yards out in the field with the deer facing me. Otis cleared and fired again…..Boom!!!!.....but the deer took off again!!!!!

They just made inside the woodline and Otis stopped him a 4th time. I’m not even sneaking anymore at this point and I run into the bay with the deer facing right at me……Boom!!!!!!.....But on this shot he comes running right at me with his head plowing the ground and his back feet just giving it hell. He was damn near at point blank range coming at me when I pretty much just pointed the gun at him and……Boooom!!!!.....He slid to a stop about 5 ft in front of me. You wanna talk about an adrenaline rush…..Holy chit man. shocked shocked

[Linked Image]

When we found the buck, he looked like swiss cheese. I had hit him at least 4 of the 5 times….we never could decide for sure if it was 4 or 5…..with most of them being pretty solid hits but way too far back for where you would normally want to shoot them. I was just having to take what I had. It’s blows my mind the way the deer was able to keep running off. The funny thing after examining the shots was that there was only one leg hit that would have been the original hit. We finally determined that the hunter had blew his foot off the evening before. This deer was a sitting duck for the yotes fellas. I’ve said this before but if I can bay him up with a dog the size of Otis then the yotes definitely can too.

[Linked Image]

Here’s a pic that does his body size a little more justice. Look at the size of his neck. I’ve helped drag a good many of them over the years and I have no doubt that this one was 220+ lbs…I’m probably lowballing that…..He was a sho nuff grown man. That was the final shot in his neck you see.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by CNC; 02/10/18 12:16 PM.

We dont rent pigs