Originally Posted by hsvbama
Atoler, would you use a fixed blade broadhead to allow a direct shoulder shot when necessary? Or are you just saying for margin on errant shots. Just thinking for my specific setup on that deer. It was quartering toward me at maybe 10-15 degrees max. So only slightly. Not like 45 or anything. What is entry and exit location for that bow shot? I aimed as tight as I could to the back of shoulder and center mass. What about rifle shot? Deer was standing still but alert since I grunted him to a stop.

i don't think he's recommending that you take shoulder shots w/your fixed bh's ... he's just saying *IF* a fixed bh encounters the shoulder it typically does a better job vs. a mech bh ... but i'll let him answer you specifically ...

rifle or bow, i don't like quartering to shots - period ... on both weapons, i like to take straight broadside or slightly quartering away shots ... to Atoler's point, the first deer i shot w/my bow years ago now was slightly quartering away so it entered in her chest & wrecked her opposite shoulder ... i was using a fixed bh & it remained intact & she obviously didn't go very far at all ... i was amazed & pleased to see the jellied meat on the opposite shoulder (see pic below) ... that happens to be a toxic bh but i've had muzzy 3-blades do the same thing ... the arrow snapped & lodged inside her ...

btw, sorry to hear you didn't recover that buck; it sucks when that happens ... it's easy to "over-analyze" & get down on yourself, but sometimes you just gotta chalk it up to plain ole "chit happens" & just stay after it ...

[Linked Image]

Last edited by BamaGuitarDude; 02/07/18 01:38 PM.

ALDeer physics: for every opinion, there's an equal & opposite opinion

A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer.