Originally Posted by blumsden
Trophy rocks are easy but expensive. I've used a mix of 2parts granular salt/1 part red granular trace mineral salt/1 part di-calcium phosphate. For the mix dig a hole and mix the minerals with the dirt. I like an area with some clay content. Sandy soil allows for the mineral to leach down thru the soil. I think i'm going to switch the mix up and put 2 parts red mineral salt and one part white salt. I like putting some near plots and near deer trails, but where you can still get an atv to so you don't have to tote everything too far. Trophy rocks are legal to hunt over, the mineral sites are not for some stupid reason. Trophy rocks are about $20. The ingredients for the mineral lick will cost you that,as well, but you can make several licks instead of just one.

Agreed. This is what we use and the deer destroy it. 2 parts trace, one part stock salt and 1 part Dical. Great places for cameras during the antler growing season. For $35.00 you have enough to make 4-5 mineral sites. We replenish right after the season and once before the season. I place them next to our supplemental feeders.