Originally Posted By: RobertD
Originally Posted By: bambam32
Does the ground have to perfectly level for a drill to work correctly?

No but depending on the drill it may need to be prepared (disked) dirt. The standard duty drill will have single or dual disc openers followed by a tire or drag chain. The discs are usually set up in a gang fashion and come up and down with hydraulic power.

These kinds of drills will do little to nothing besides spread seed in very hard ground or ground having a lot of cover (grass, etc.).

No-Till drills will have much heavier setups to use their disc to cut open a trench in harder ground. The JD ones I'm familiar with had a VERY large spring on each opener arm but used the tractor hydraulics in constant flow to keep penetration constant. They also had a small wheel that pressed the seed into the trench then a cast iron wheel that closed the trench from a different angle. They came in 10, 15, or 20' widths and needed around 8-12 hp per foot for a tractor.

There is no free lunch. If you don't take care of whats already on top of the dirt (grass, weeds, last years plot) with tillage or chemical you won't get a good stand. No Till Drills aren't the magic pill many people believe them to be. They also aren't cheap. The last new 10' I sold (YEARS ago) was better than $30k and the 20' was nearly $55k.

Thanks for the explanation. More complicated than I thought.