Originally Posted By: Jakethesnake
[quote=hoggin]They do burn valves a good bit, I invested in a camera so I could pull the plugs and check that without pulling the heads, it's a cool little gadget. Takes a lot of guess work out of it

A real mechanic would run a compression test on each cylinder and find the average THEN check with your camera then pull the heads if needed. Besides the head gasket leakin on combustion side, might be an intake gasket leaking too but doubt it. You called that guy an internet french model cause that motor has no distributor. gun grin

Just for the record I would use the camera before a compression check, why guess after what I can see but long before that I would check for dirty oil, engine codes then do a data scan and a cylinder contribution test then look in the cylinder for signs of water, excessive oil, burnt valve, burnt piston or cylinder wall damage then a compression test incase a valve seat that I can't see it the issue.

That's kinda what a real mechanic would do there Jake, just in case your wondering.
Maybe that diagnostic tree will help in the future.

I don't know what's wrong with the truck I haven't laid hands on it or diagnosed it, most of what's been listed here could be the cause along with several other things that have not been mentioned.