So my 2007 GMC Sierra is sick...notorious lifter problems has potentially caught up with me at 197K miles. Knew it was coming eventually. It's still drivable, but running very rough: missing, shifting hard in gears R,1,2 & a little on 3. Code pulled today said cylinder 4 coil. Replaced that but spark plug with only 28K miles was rusted and fully corroded. Running better now than yesterday, but still rough and hard shifting. Misfire is turning off traction control and stabilitrack systems.

So....need Aldeer advice.

1. Replacement of cam & lifters (pull heads) is a big and expensive job. I've gotten one quote so far for $5,285 - GM parts and labor. Is this a typical price?

2. New engine quote was $7,800. I have no idea if that is a fair quote.

Anyone with first hand knowledge on reasonable costs?

Would you replace engine or just repair? I'm not wanting to buy a new or used truck.

In the Birmingham, Hoover, Shelby County area...give me some good auto repair shops to contact. I don't have one that I trust for big stuff...I've been fortunate to only have minor issues with vehicles over the years.

Thanks!

Last edited by straycat; 01/15/18 01:29 PM.

"The grass withers, the flower fades, But the word of our God stands forever." Isaiah 40:8

"Neither the wisest constitution nor the wisest laws will secure the liberty and happiness of a people whose manners are universally corrupt.� Samuel Adams